Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas Decorations- Nauvoo style

Decorating for a 3 room apartment is a lot easier than decorating my 3 level home in Salt Lake! Most of the decorations I got either free from missionaries who went home...or for very little cost at the Salvation Army or Thrift store here. For instance the white porcelain nativity on the entertainment center was only $5.00, and I love it!





Closeup of one window sill.  I have candles at every window as do most of the missionaries here.  It makes it look very oldfashioned..except ours are not real candles :).  We are not allowed to put lights outside our apartments, because they want it to look and feel like Old Nauvoo!







Our entry way...all the garlands on the stairs, the stockings, the front door wreath, and the decorations under the tree,(except for the poinsettia plant) were free!





The tree we did buy at HyVee, so it cost a little more than the 3 dollar one I could have gotten at Salvation Army, but I loved the shape of this one...just perfect for this corner. I decorated it with pine cones from our back yard and water lily seed pods from the Mississippi river that had washed up on shore. I also made strings of cranberries and popcorn to adorn the tree...just like the pioneers :)
MERRY CHRISTMAS !
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Emily said...

All your decorations look so nice! I love the little tree!

Gary Young said...

Merry Christmas and have a great New Year!!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!